July 17 by Eric Dreshfield
Gartner describes the Solution Selling Capability as having the capability to sell tangible goods and services, both one-time or recurring, together to address the entire needs of the customer. Gartner further describes tangible goods by saying they “can be customized, visualized and sold. Shipping details can be captured and priced.” The following criteria were evaluated for functional completeness, usability, ease of administration and response times:
• 2D visual configuration: The configurable product is displayed as a 2D image with all options selected. As selections are changed, the 2D image is automatically updated.
• 3D visual configuration: The configurable product is displayed as a 3D image with all options selected. As selections are changed, the 3D image is automatically updated. The user can change the viewing position and rotate the product to see it from any perspective.
• Bill of materials (BOM) generation: The configurator can generate the manufacturing BOM from the options selected.
• Shipping charges: Shipping charges can be calculated either from internal shipping rate tables or via a call to an external shipping system. The shipping charge is a function of the weight, route and speed requested
• Visualizations in proposal: Include 2D and 3D renderings of configured products in the proposal/contract.
• Shipping details: Capture shipping details for tangible goods on the order. Order lines can be sent to multiple locations by multiple shipping methods.
• Generate CAD drawings: Generate CAD drawings of complex products for use by manufacturing.
Additionally, Gartner weighted several critical capabilities when scoring vendors in the Solution Selling Use Case evaluation. Those capabilities include: Direct Sales Channel, Configuration, Sell Subscriptions, Sell Tangible Goods, Pricing, and more.
We’re proud to share that Gartner scored Apttus CPQ the highest of any vendor solution for Solution Selling Use Case.