August 28 by Sudhakar Jukanti
Selecting and implementing a Configure Price Quote (CPQ) solution is an essential piece of the digital transformation journey. And, if done right, it can directly impact the bottom-line of an organization. A CPQ implementation involves interweaving many disparate components such as product modeling, pricing, approvals, and CFD (customer–facing documents). Thanks to these many, complicated moving pieces, typical implementation cycles can be long and take time to realize the value of the solution. According to Gartner, “Twelve percent of implementations were completed in under three months; 22% took three to six months; 26% took six to nine months; 14% took nine to 12 months and 26% took more than a year”.
To address the above challenge, we’re excited to introduce CPQ Accelerator. This ready-to-use solution is a Professional Services pre-packaged offering and is built to help the subscription industry achieve shortened time–to–value, maximize ROI (return on investment), and create a foundation for a scalable solution.
Key components of the CPQ Accelerator include:
- Pre-configured features designed to support subscription industry use cases
- A customer readiness process to ensure you are set up for success
- Pre-built documentation to jumpstart the requirements, design and testing phases
CPQ implementation is more of an art than a science, requiring personalization and a tailor-made approach, with solutions varying from customer to customer. Conga‘s Professional Services team has implemented over 100 CPQ projects across a variety of customers. This vast experience allowed us to draw on specific use cases when building this solution, so we can help organizations in any phase of transformation, and it’s why we have included the following features in the CPQ Accelerator solution. Each are ready to use on day one of the implementation, and will get you live in as little as 12 weeks:
- End-to-end flow for critical subscription workflows like new logo sale, add-on, renewal, and termination
- Auto–renewals flow with renewal uplifts, touchless renewals, and co-terms
- Subscription metrics for ACV (annual contract value) and TCV (total contract value)
- Enhanced user experience with user defaults and contextual quote stages
- Pre-configured approval process for up to two dimensions and four levels of approvers
- Pre-configured security setup for the key personas in CPQ implementations
One of the success factors for CPQ projects is the accuracy of the product, pricing, and approvals data. In many projects, the data preparation continues until UAT (user acceptance testing), resulting in re-work and delays in the project execution.
To address the above challenge, we are introducing the customer readiness phase. The goal of this phase is to get the product, pricing, and approval data ready before the project kick-off. During this phase, Conga and the customer will partner together to work through the existing data set and translate to Apttus pre-built templates.
This process helps to demonstrate the end to end flow for the standard business processes with customer data on the first day of the project. It will ensure that the business users can visualize the flow during the define phase and avoid unintended scope expansion in the later phases.
To get the CPQ solution live quicker than ever, we developed the following artifacts that help the project run smoother and faster:
- Welcome packet: Provides an overview of Apttus concepts and a walkthrough of product/pricing templates. It will be used during the customer readiness phase, which will help customers to provide the data in the required format
- Process flow: Visualize end–to–end process flow diagram for subscription flows like new sales, add-on, renewals, and terminations
- User Stories: Jumpstart with your requirements with a pre-built use case library based on industry best practices
- UAT Scripts: End–to–end test scripts that cover critical business use cases and provide traceability to user stories and design
- Persona: List of personas and their expectations from the CPQ systems
CPQ Accelerator is flexible and suitable for all types of customers. Customers with standard use cases can go-live with the Accelerator and deploy the solution to all users. Global customers with complex use cases can start the journey with the Accelerator as MVP (Minimum Viable Product) for a given business unit and expand the foundation solution to other use cases, business units, and regions in subsequent phases.
 Gartner, Magic Quadrant for Configure, Price and Quote Application Suites, Mark Lewis and Christina Klock, Oct 28 2019. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in our research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.